[button link=”https://www.bevrijdingspop.nl/programma/blokkenschema/” color=”red”]Terug naar het blokkenschema[/button]
MY BABY was born in the small hours of a red moonlit night in Amsterdam in 2012. Brother and sister Joost and Cato van Dijck fused their futures and blended their souls with accomplished slide and blues guitar player Daniel ‘DaFreez’ Johnston (NZ) to invent the spells and potions that make up the songs played by My Baby. In 2013 they released their debut album “Loves Voodoo!“ and started to spread their magical hypnotic voodoo blues beats in many countries – building a loyal and growing following with their entrancing and compelling live show.
Of the first album “Loves Voodoo!” released in 2013 they say: “(It was) a protest album with socially conscious lyrics. There was a lot a venting of frustration concerning society. “
In summer 2015 they are touring Europe to promote their second album “Shamanaid” released in May and currently being licensed. In strong demand at Festivals especially in native Holland, and playing at no less than seven alternative stages at Glastonbury 2015 and poised at break out stage. They were chosen by Seasick Steve as the opening act on his April UK tour and made a lot of friends.
In their own words, on the album Shamanaid: “Shamanaid is in our imagination a drink or magic potion used in a shamanistic ritual. Music is also an important part of those rituals. Repetitive beats and melodies are used to get into a trance, we always try to achieve something akin to that with our music.” It’s rather fitting, given the band’s deliciously toxic blend of fingerpickin’ guitars, roots, funk, gospel and Southern swampy blues. Joost adds. “It’s a brew loaded with the music styles we love,” he says. “We borrow from the rich history of folk music from all around the world and bring it to the moment of now.”
- In 2014 over 140 shows on 4 continents
- On average MY BABY does over 150 gigs a year
- Dutch Festivals 2015: NL Paaspop, Lowlands, Zwarte Cross, The Great Wide Open, Valkhof, etc etc
- International Festivals 2015: UK Glastonbury, Wilderness, Lodestar, Rhythms of the World, Grape (Slovakia), Sziget (Hungary), Rock Fest (Italy) and festivals in Belgium
- Headline show at Paradiso Amsterdam on the 23rd of December 2015, concluding a tour of 25 headline shows in The Netherlands
- Headline tours planned for UK, Germany this fall, more countries to be announced
- New Zealand/Australia/Japan tour Feb/Mar 2016 now being planned
- An exponentially growing and active following online, with over 10k likes on Facebook (300% growth in 6 months)
- A very strong band driven social media prescence, with a high level of fan engagement
- Showcases such as SXSW, EuroSonic Noorderslag, ILMC, The Great Escape, Reeperbahn, International Festival Forum, and more.
- Airplay (A, B and C rotation) at over 40 regional radio stations in UK and spotplay on national radio (BBC Radio 6, 2 and 5)
- UK support tour with Seasick Steve in April 2015, 14 major venues, s.a. O2′s and Hammersmith Apollo London, reaching an new audience of 42.000
- Raving reviews on live perfomances and albums in The Netherlands as well as in the UK and other countries, check out some reviews en articles here.
- Through live shows MY BABY has developed fan bases in Western Europe, Centrale Europe, United Kingdom, New Zealand, Japan, Australia and many more countries to come…